Skip to main content

S'mores cake bars

I have been wanting to try out this recipe for ages - I bought an amazing American cookbook, which has everything from mac 'n' cheese to key lime pie, and lots in between. I have tried a few of the recipes so far, but this one is an absolute gem!



This is the cookbook the recipe is from - I bought it from Amazon, and I would 100% recommend it, every recipe is worth a try:



 I did tweak the recipe a tiny bit, because I don't like cinnamon very much:

Ingredients:

115g melted butter
100g light muscovado sugar
100g caster sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
10 rich tea biscuits
75g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
300g mini marshmallows

For the ganache:

175g plain chocolate
125ml double cream

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180C/ 170C fan assisted. Line a square 9 inch baking tin (this needs to be a deep tin, as you will construct the bars in it.)

Mix the butter and sugars in a bowl using a hand whisk and then add in the eggs gradually (the mixture will split if you add all at once) then the vanilla. Keep mixing until light and fluffy.

Put the biscuits in a bag and bash with a rolling pin until they are all in crumbs (you can use a food processor to do this but the rolling pin is more fun!) 

Add the crushed biscuits, flour and baking powder to the wet mixture and stir well. 

Pour into the baking tin and bake for around 30 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool whilst you make the ganache.

Put the chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl and melt either over a bain marie or if you are careful in the microwave - keep stirring to make sure you don't burn the chocolate. As soon as it is fully melted pour over the biscuit cake, then sprinkle over the marshmallows. Put under a grill at a medium heat, just until the marshmallows start to brown.

Leave to cool and then put in the fridge for an hour or so to harden. Remove from the fridge and cut into bars, then enjoy!  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bourbon Chocolate Brownies

There seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment for brownies with all kinds of sweets and biscuits added to the top to give an extra dimension to these absolute classic bakes. Doing the rounds on Instagram which caught my eye were Bourbon brownies, in particular Frances Quinn's version (Former GBBO winner). Her food imagination and photography is always beautiful and well worth checking out. I have used my own brownie recipe which combines cocoa and melted dark chocolate topped with neat rows of Bourbons, making a brownie which perfectly compliments a good cup of tea. Time to get dunking! Ingredients: 220g butter 180g caster sugar 150g light muscovado sugar 50g cocoa powder 50g dark chocolate (70%) 1 tsp vanilla extract 2 eggs 120g plain flour 1 packet of Bourbons - I used 13 ontop of my batter, but you can add more or less depending on how you want your brownies to look. Method: Preheat your oven to 180C/ 160C fan assisted and line a brownie tin. In ...

Giant Ferrero Rocher cake

Hello friends.  A few weeks ago my lovely friend Liz posted a link to me of a lady who had created an awesome giant Ferrero Rocher cake (this is her blog filled with fantastic bakes - http://www.sugarhero.com/) , and then the challenge was born. Liz and her husband Matt had their first child 6 months ago and today marked his Dedication day, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to attempt the bake (and it had the up side of having lots of people there to eat the cake!).  This was really fun to make, but I did it slowly over a week or so and whilst it looks like a Rocher inside it doesn't have a giant hazelnut  and creamy filling, but instead layers of chocolate cake and hazelnut  mousse. The biggest tip I have for you, if you want to try this special bake, is make sure you have some form of cake release in your chocolate sphere moulds. The trickiest part of this creation I found was tempting the delicate shells away from the plastic mo...

Visiting MADRID

Hello friends, Over the past couple of years I have visited Madrid more times than I can remember, for long weekends and at the start and end of holidays. I feel like I know parts of the city very well, but like any capital there is always more to see. I could probably write an essay about Madrid as a whole so for this post I wanted to introduce you to my favourite place to visit - I go here at least once per trip to Spain, and I hope you will want to visit it too if you are ever in the neighbourhood. The Mercado de San Miguel In English this translates to the market of San Miguel, and it is located in the older part of the city, very close to the Royal Palace, Opera Square and Plaza Mayor (all places that are also deserving of a visit). In a nut shell, this is a glass building which inside contains a very wide array of stalls with many of the different delicious types of food and drink that Madrid has to offer.  The beauty of this market is that within o...