Skip to main content

Healthy Banana Bread

In less than two months I am going to be attempting to complete a Tough Mudder, which for those who don't know is a 10-12 mile military obstacle course. I am a little scared by it, but as part of my training I decided to try some healthy recipes, and this is the first attempt!

Banana bread for me has to be dense and moist, and this recipe ticks both of those boxes. There isn't a raising agent as part of this recipe, so it is a very dense cake so don't expect it to grow in the oven at all. I have replaced the butter and sugar in a traditional banana bread recipe with coconut oil and dates, which makes this healthier for you.








Ingredients:

3 ripe bananas, mashed
100g ground almonds
100g flour
25g raisins or sultanas
Pinch of salt
60g coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1sp vanilla
3 soft dates


Method:

Pre-heat your over to 180C/ 170C fan assisted.

In a bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients so they are well combined.

In a separate bowl mix all of the wet ingredients and then pour into the dry mix and stir until fully combined.



Line or grease a small loaf tin and then pour in the cake mix, making sure it is evenly distributed. Remember, this won't raise in the oven so how you put it in the tin will be the shape it comes out as.

Place in the over and bake for 35 minutes. This will fill your kitchen with divine smells of coconut and banana. After 35 minutes check that a knife comes out clean when the cake is prodded and remove and leave to cool (if you can resist the beautiful smell).




When cool, cut and enjoy a slice with a nice cup of tea.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visiting MADRID

Hello friends, Over the past couple of years I have visited Madrid more times than I can remember, for long weekends and at the start and end of holidays. I feel like I know parts of the city very well, but like any capital there is always more to see. I could probably write an essay about Madrid as a whole so for this post I wanted to introduce you to my favourite place to visit - I go here at least once per trip to Spain, and I hope you will want to visit it too if you are ever in the neighbourhood. The Mercado de San Miguel In English this translates to the market of San Miguel, and it is located in the older part of the city, very close to the Royal Palace, Opera Square and Plaza Mayor (all places that are also deserving of a visit). In a nut shell, this is a glass building which inside contains a very wide array of stalls with many of the different delicious types of food and drink that Madrid has to offer.  The beauty of this market is that within o...

Bourbon Chocolate Brownies

There seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment for brownies with all kinds of sweets and biscuits added to the top to give an extra dimension to these absolute classic bakes. Doing the rounds on Instagram which caught my eye were Bourbon brownies, in particular Frances Quinn's version (Former GBBO winner). Her food imagination and photography is always beautiful and well worth checking out. I have used my own brownie recipe which combines cocoa and melted dark chocolate topped with neat rows of Bourbons, making a brownie which perfectly compliments a good cup of tea. Time to get dunking! Ingredients: 220g butter 180g caster sugar 150g light muscovado sugar 50g cocoa powder 50g dark chocolate (70%) 1 tsp vanilla extract 2 eggs 120g plain flour 1 packet of Bourbons - I used 13 ontop of my batter, but you can add more or less depending on how you want your brownies to look. Method: Preheat your oven to 180C/ 160C fan assisted and line a brownie tin. In ...

Giant Ferrero Rocher cake

Hello friends.  A few weeks ago my lovely friend Liz posted a link to me of a lady who had created an awesome giant Ferrero Rocher cake (this is her blog filled with fantastic bakes - http://www.sugarhero.com/) , and then the challenge was born. Liz and her husband Matt had their first child 6 months ago and today marked his Dedication day, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to attempt the bake (and it had the up side of having lots of people there to eat the cake!).  This was really fun to make, but I did it slowly over a week or so and whilst it looks like a Rocher inside it doesn't have a giant hazelnut  and creamy filling, but instead layers of chocolate cake and hazelnut  mousse. The biggest tip I have for you, if you want to try this special bake, is make sure you have some form of cake release in your chocolate sphere moulds. The trickiest part of this creation I found was tempting the delicate shells away from the plastic mo...