Skip to main content

Cherry Hot Cross Buns

Hot. Cross. Buns. A timeless classic, easy to make and when toasted and coated in butter are a perfect afternoon tea snack. Traditionally these are eaten on Good Friday, and in the run up to Easter they are in every superstore. However home baked buns are far superior, and have the plus factor that you can throw in whatever you like. Normally they are flavoured with chopped fruit and peel - I love cherries so I have added in some chopped glacé cherries as an extra dimension.

Ingredients:



Method:

Bring the milk to a boil, then allow to cool. Meanwhile, combine the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, butter and egg in a mixing bowl and combine well.

When the milk is warm to touch gradually add the to the dry mix whilst stirring - I use my KitchenAid for this, as it makes the mixing process easier.  When all the milk is incorporated add the spices and fruit. At this point the mixture will be quite wet.







Knead for around 5 minutes until the dough is soft and elastic like. Place in a oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise for around an hour until the dough has doubled in size.

Knock the air out of the dough and separate into 16 pieces. Roll into balls and place on a lined baking tray. Leave to prove for another 30 mins in a warm place. Preheat the oven to 180C fan assisted.



Mix together 5 tbsp of plain flour and 4 tbsp of water, so you have a thick paste. Use this to create the crosses on top of the buns.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until golden brown. Whilst still hot brush over with either apricot jam on honey for a shiny glaze. 




Then sit back and enjoy as ever with a good cup of tea.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visiting MADRID

Hello friends, Over the past couple of years I have visited Madrid more times than I can remember, for long weekends and at the start and end of holidays. I feel like I know parts of the city very well, but like any capital there is always more to see. I could probably write an essay about Madrid as a whole so for this post I wanted to introduce you to my favourite place to visit - I go here at least once per trip to Spain, and I hope you will want to visit it too if you are ever in the neighbourhood. The Mercado de San Miguel In English this translates to the market of San Miguel, and it is located in the older part of the city, very close to the Royal Palace, Opera Square and Plaza Mayor (all places that are also deserving of a visit). In a nut shell, this is a glass building which inside contains a very wide array of stalls with many of the different delicious types of food and drink that Madrid has to offer.  The beauty of this market is that within o...

Giant Ferrero Rocher cake

Hello friends.  A few weeks ago my lovely friend Liz posted a link to me of a lady who had created an awesome giant Ferrero Rocher cake (this is her blog filled with fantastic bakes - http://www.sugarhero.com/) , and then the challenge was born. Liz and her husband Matt had their first child 6 months ago and today marked his Dedication day, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to attempt the bake (and it had the up side of having lots of people there to eat the cake!).  This was really fun to make, but I did it slowly over a week or so and whilst it looks like a Rocher inside it doesn't have a giant hazelnut  and creamy filling, but instead layers of chocolate cake and hazelnut  mousse. The biggest tip I have for you, if you want to try this special bake, is make sure you have some form of cake release in your chocolate sphere moulds. The trickiest part of this creation I found was tempting the delicate shells away from the plastic mo...

Bourbon Chocolate Brownies

There seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment for brownies with all kinds of sweets and biscuits added to the top to give an extra dimension to these absolute classic bakes. Doing the rounds on Instagram which caught my eye were Bourbon brownies, in particular Frances Quinn's version (Former GBBO winner). Her food imagination and photography is always beautiful and well worth checking out. I have used my own brownie recipe which combines cocoa and melted dark chocolate topped with neat rows of Bourbons, making a brownie which perfectly compliments a good cup of tea. Time to get dunking! Ingredients: 220g butter 180g caster sugar 150g light muscovado sugar 50g cocoa powder 50g dark chocolate (70%) 1 tsp vanilla extract 2 eggs 120g plain flour 1 packet of Bourbons - I used 13 ontop of my batter, but you can add more or less depending on how you want your brownies to look. Method: Preheat your oven to 180C/ 160C fan assisted and line a brownie tin. In ...