Skip to main content

Spiced Apple and Caramel Cupcakes

With the start of September, Autumn is just round the corner meaning a return to cosy jumpers, richer foods and in baking terms warmer flavours. Apples, spices and autumn go hand in hand so today I have whipped up some spiced apple cupcakes.




This is basically a two pot recipe and very quick to make, handy when you are having to fit baking around baby naps!

Ingredients

135g dark muscovado sugar
65g caster sugar
115g melted butter
2 large eggs
80ml whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 large apple peeled and chopped, I used a cooking apple which gives a slightly tart taste to offset the sweetness of the cakes
1 portion of caramel, either from the tin or home made.

Method

Preheat your oven to 180/ 170 degrees fan assisted. Line a 12 hole cupcake tin with cases and put aside.

Mix together the butter and sugars until well combined. Whisk the eggs in, one at a time and then the milk and vanilla. Whisk well and set aside.

In a second bowl stir together all of the dry ingredients (apart from the apple). Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry bowl, as we have used muscovado sugar there will be some lumps in this batter. When fully combined throw in the chopped apple and give a final stir.

Fill the cupcake cases two thirds of the way up and bake for around 18 minutes. Use the skewer test to check if they are done, but be careful as if you hit a piece of apple the skewer will come out clean so test a couple of times.

Allow to cool fully and either eat as they are, or alternately you could finish them with some caramel or toffee flavoured buttercream to give some extra sweetness, or add some caramel into the centre of the sponges. I have done this using a syringe tool but if you don't have one of these slice a round of cake from the top, add some caramel then put the cut out sponge back into the hole..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visiting MADRID

Hello friends, Over the past couple of years I have visited Madrid more times than I can remember, for long weekends and at the start and end of holidays. I feel like I know parts of the city very well, but like any capital there is always more to see. I could probably write an essay about Madrid as a whole so for this post I wanted to introduce you to my favourite place to visit - I go here at least once per trip to Spain, and I hope you will want to visit it too if you are ever in the neighbourhood. The Mercado de San Miguel In English this translates to the market of San Miguel, and it is located in the older part of the city, very close to the Royal Palace, Opera Square and Plaza Mayor (all places that are also deserving of a visit). In a nut shell, this is a glass building which inside contains a very wide array of stalls with many of the different delicious types of food and drink that Madrid has to offer.  The beauty of this market is that within o...

Bourbon Chocolate Brownies

There seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment for brownies with all kinds of sweets and biscuits added to the top to give an extra dimension to these absolute classic bakes. Doing the rounds on Instagram which caught my eye were Bourbon brownies, in particular Frances Quinn's version (Former GBBO winner). Her food imagination and photography is always beautiful and well worth checking out. I have used my own brownie recipe which combines cocoa and melted dark chocolate topped with neat rows of Bourbons, making a brownie which perfectly compliments a good cup of tea. Time to get dunking! Ingredients: 220g butter 180g caster sugar 150g light muscovado sugar 50g cocoa powder 50g dark chocolate (70%) 1 tsp vanilla extract 2 eggs 120g plain flour 1 packet of Bourbons - I used 13 ontop of my batter, but you can add more or less depending on how you want your brownies to look. Method: Preheat your oven to 180C/ 160C fan assisted and line a brownie tin. In ...

Giant Ferrero Rocher cake

Hello friends.  A few weeks ago my lovely friend Liz posted a link to me of a lady who had created an awesome giant Ferrero Rocher cake (this is her blog filled with fantastic bakes - http://www.sugarhero.com/) , and then the challenge was born. Liz and her husband Matt had their first child 6 months ago and today marked his Dedication day, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity to attempt the bake (and it had the up side of having lots of people there to eat the cake!).  This was really fun to make, but I did it slowly over a week or so and whilst it looks like a Rocher inside it doesn't have a giant hazelnut  and creamy filling, but instead layers of chocolate cake and hazelnut  mousse. The biggest tip I have for you, if you want to try this special bake, is make sure you have some form of cake release in your chocolate sphere moulds. The trickiest part of this creation I found was tempting the delicate shells away from the plastic mo...