Skip to main content

Cherry Frangipane Tart - GBBO signature challenge

Hello friends,

This week on the Great British Bake Off it was pastry week, and the signature challenge was Frangipane. Cue a multitude of different fruits glazes and delicious looking treats! I couldn't remember the last time I had a frangipane, so I skipped into town and went to my local bakery to sample one. Deciding it was indeed delicious I resolved that this would be my challenge for the week.

When you are making a frangipane there are a few big decisions - Should you blind bake the pastry before filling? What fruit should you put on top (if any)? Should you coat the pastry base with a jam? I don't like soggy bottoms, so opted to blind bake for 20 minutes (although a lot of recipes skipped this step), I wanted a jam on the base for extra fruitiness and my topping of choice was cherries because the combination of cherry and almond is pure yumminess.

An extra decision you can make is whether to make your own shortcrust pastry, or buy a ready made pack from the supermarket (both are acceptable in my eyes!)

This was my first attempt at a frangipane and I am pretty pleased with the results - it isn't a hard dish to make, as long as you let it bake for long enough!



This makes a 23cm tart.

Ingredients:

For the pastry:
200g plain flour
100g butter diced
1 egg
1 tbsp caster sugar

For the frangipane:
140g caster sugar
140g ground almonds
140g melted butter
250g cherries, pitted and halved

Optional:

Jam for spreading on the base of the tart
Flaked almonds for extra decoration

Method:

To make the pastry, in a food processor mix the flour,butter, sugar and egg. Once combined add a small amount of water to bind the dough. Wrap in clingfilm and place in the fridge to cool.

Preheat the oven to 180C/ 170C fan assisted. Roll out the pastry out until it is about 1cm thick, and place it in your tin. At this point it is good to have some overlap out of the tin as the pastry will shrink as it bakes. Fill the base of the tin with some baking parchment and cover with baking beans. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the beans and bake for a further 5 minutes to give the base some colour.

While the base is baking you can make the frangipane. In a bowl mix together the melted butter, almonds and sugar so it forms a paste.

When the tart has come out of the oven, coat the base with jam (if you are using it) then spoon in the frangipane mix. Arrange the halved cherries in a pretty pattern on top, and if you want some extra decoration sprinkle some flaked almonds on top. Bake for around 35 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.

Allow to cool before serving alongside some whipped cream or ice cream for extra indulgence!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BBC Good Food Caramel Brownies

Another get together with friends has prompted some more baking (whilst the baby is sleeping) and the salted caramel cover recipe from a BBC Good Food issue from a while back caught my eye. I have been storing this recipe waiting for a good excuse to bake it, and I can say (after scoffing a few), these brownies do not disappoint and will be made again. Brownies are very easy to make, the one stumbling point I often find is the temperature of the oven and the time they are baked for - as ovens vary vastly this is quite hard to write into a recipe, but I have a fan assisted fairly new over which bakes quite hot. They key for baking the brownies is checking after the stated time, and they should still be a little liquid in the middle if you want moist squishy squares. Leaving them to cool completely in the tin is also an essential, as if they are cut too early they may still be too liquid. Time to make batter - around 15 minutes Baking time - 35 minutes depending on your oven I

Bourbon Chocolate Brownies

There seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment for brownies with all kinds of sweets and biscuits added to the top to give an extra dimension to these absolute classic bakes. Doing the rounds on Instagram which caught my eye were Bourbon brownies, in particular Frances Quinn's version (Former GBBO winner). Her food imagination and photography is always beautiful and well worth checking out. I have used my own brownie recipe which combines cocoa and melted dark chocolate topped with neat rows of Bourbons, making a brownie which perfectly compliments a good cup of tea. Time to get dunking! Ingredients: 220g butter 180g caster sugar 150g light muscovado sugar 50g cocoa powder 50g dark chocolate (70%) 1 tsp vanilla extract 2 eggs 120g plain flour 1 packet of Bourbons - I used 13 ontop of my batter, but you can add more or less depending on how you want your brownies to look. Method: Preheat your oven to 180C/ 160C fan assisted and line a brownie tin. In

Pasteils de nata - custard tarts

Pastry week on the Great British Bake Off saw Paull Hollywood set custard tarts as the technical challenge and I thought I would give them a go, seeing as I have never attempted them before! I own Paul's cookbook which has the recipe in, and it can also be found on the GBBO website. These two recipes vary slightly - in the book Paul doesn't make the rough puff pastry but uses shop bought (which I would normally do.) This being a Bake Off challenge though I decided to use the recipe they followed in the tent. The result - delicious buttery pastry filled with golden creamy custard. I ate 3 in one sitting! The tarts are quite fiddly and leaving the pastry to cool between rolling is essential to get the decent lamination and signature swirl on the bottom, so you will need to set aside a good couple of hours in total. As a side note, I found that I had a lot of left over custard - either I didn't make my tarts big enough or the recipe is rather generous with the por